28 July 2013

Freshman Year

Here's a question to ponder: I just watched an interview with the actress Marilu Henner of "Taxi," who is well-known for an astounding autobiographical memory. She told of a recent experience when she had addressed a group, and challenged them to recall their freshman high school schedule. One member of the group initially did remember it--a 15-year-old girl!--but others eventually discovered pathways or keys back to remembering their schedule.

 

How many of us can do that? With a bit of effort, I can recall at least 75-80% of mine.

 

For me, that was the 1964-65 school year.

 

I remember Plane Geometry, taught by Miss Kropek, the first period after lunch in that miserable classroom on the same basement floor as the cafeteria, almost across from the band room; and I remember Candie Bell walking into that class, and I hear the Beach Boys singing "I Get Around."

 

 

No comments: